Thursday, February 24, 2011

Why America's Teachers are Enraged

Indiana, Wisconsin, and a few other states are in the middle of some pretty hot state legislation regarding collective bargaining. One of the professions that this includes is teachers. I have only been out of the classroom for 2 years and was an active member of our teacher's union, which was an affiliate of the National Teachers Association. It would be fair to say that I feel pretty strongly about the topic, and while I don't want to go on and on about it, I do want to share some opinion articles I found on CNN.com that I thought were spot-on. I posted them on Facebook, but if you didn't catch them there, here they are again. I really thought they explained it well without too much political mumbo jumbo. (both are by the same author: Diane Ravitch)
"If the voices of their teachers are silenced, who will stand up for students?"

EDITED TO ADD:

And, for another perspective that only he can add... May I give you Stephen Colbert:

‎"Those freeloaders with their cushy state jobs - like snow plow operators, prison guards, and teachers. Oh, they’re always driving around, lording their ’93 Nissan Sentras over everybody." -- Stephen Colbert


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails