Friday, February 4, 2011

Patella Shmella


Yesterday, I went to see my orthopedic doctor regarding my right knee. I visited him in 2008 when we were trying to have Lily. At that time, we discussed some trouble I was having, that wasn't new, and that probably surgery would need to happen sometime in the next 5 years. We decided to put it off because I was trying to have a baby. None of this was a surprise to me because I had knee surgery when I was 18 on my left knee. I need the exact same procedure done on my right knee now, except the pain I am having is much worse that it was when I was 18.

The question I get from everyone is, "What's wrong with it?" I am not an athlete, so it isn't a sport's injury or injury related at all. It is really just something to do with how I was built. My patella (kneecap) doesn't line up properly with the groove that it is supposed to move within. I googled it and found this diagram, which is exactly what my doctor drew out on a piece of paper for Matt and I.


This site calls the condition Patella Femoral Syndrome. It sounds exactly like what my doctor has explained.

The disappointing part of the appointment was that he was very clear that there is no real fix for my knee. The surgery, which I will be doing, is a good next step, but will NOT make me "good as new." It will help with pain and discomfort and possible lessen the awful crunching that my knee makes when I go up stairs, but it won't make the sound go away completely and eventually my knee will get bad again. Some day I will probably need a knee replacement, but I am too young and in not that bad of shape to have that major and invasive of knee surgery. Very discouraging. I really expected to go in and have him say that I needed surgery, it would make it tons better, and have a great day. - that is NOT how it went.

Recovery is going to be tough. This type of arthroscopic knee surgery is not the same as the kind that football players have and then they are playing again in 2 weeks. Much different. I am having a lateral release. It takes months for full recovery. Perfect for a mother with 2 active little girls, right? Yeah. Well, I have scheduled surgery for March 1, so start praying for me. :)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

It will be just fine. And if you need a break from your two active girls, you can just come hold your nephew when he cries. :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails