Wednesday, December 8, 2010

More than we thought


Last night, Matt was finalizing some of his last travel for this calendar year for work. He is about to finish up his first year as a manager with his company, which is a big deal for him. It was a very big promotion and a big deal for our family.

It helped cement me being able to stay home with the girls, financially, and Matt really is satisfied in his new position. However, it has come with some stress, too.

When he accepted the position, we were pretty naive on what we expected in terms of travel for the position. Some of this was due to just not knowing and some of it was that the area that he would be managing was increasing in size as compared to the previous manager. We thought 6-7 weeks of travel a year. Last night we worked out what it ended up being and it was 13! Double. Now for some people, like my sister whose husband is a pilot, I realize you may not think this is a lot, but 13 weeks seems like a lot of time away from home to me. Especially when you didn't know that was what you were signing up for. Don't get me wrong, it was and still is the right decision for Matt our family, but 13 weeks is a lot and it was a rough year, especially in the beginning. I would not want to live those first few months again. We struggled. We had no idea. Parenting by myself was not fun and I still have emergencies pop up (flights cancelled on field trip days!) and depend on good friends to help me out. Now, it is so much easier, but I still miss him when he is gone.

Do you have a spouse that travels? If not, can you imagine it? (I'm not sure I could have a couple years ago)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails