Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Hunger Games

I have a new book obsession. The Hunger Games. You must read it. It is actually a trilogy. The second one is titled Catching Fire and the third is Mockingjay. I had heard of them and a friend recommended them a while back and I just got around to reading the first one. About halfway in, I realized that I was going to have to read all three, so I went out and bought them all. One of the things I really like about them is that you can go back and look for things you missed the first time you read them, so they are the kind of books that you can read more than once.

Let me give you a little synopsis. The setting is in the future. North America as we know it no longer exists and there is a new society that was created after some type of revolution. As a result of this, the Capitol rules over 12 "districts". Every year the districts have to select 1 girl and 1 boy (between the age of 12-18) through a type of lottery to travel to the Capitol and participate in the Hunger Games. Only one will win, and by win, I mean live. The story is told through the eyes of a girl named Katniss, who I believe is 17, and lives in District 12.

I have read the first two books so far. I asked Matt to read it too, which I rarely do, and he really likes it too (so far). It has been really fun to read it together and be able to talk about it. We so rarely read the same types of things. I am trying to not get any farther ahead of him than I am already, so I am waiting to start the third book. Which is killing me, by the way. I'm not sure I'll make it through the weekend...


1 comment:

Miranda said...

Glad you like them! Tim and I both did. I also never ask him to read what I am reading and did with this series. They are currently casting for Katniss and the film is supposed to be started in 2011.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails