Monday, September 19, 2011

Sharpie Tie-Dye- I just couldn't wait



Curiosity got me. I just had to try it, and I had the supplies.

Remember the Sharpie Tie-Dye, where you use rubbing alcohol from my last post? Well, the girls and I tried it. We used their old tie-dye shirts from Vacation Bible School. We figured they were already tie-dyed, so now they would just be double tie-dyed.

It's super easy. Click here for detailed directions. You take cups and rubber band them open side up inside the shirt (we used silly bands as our rubber bands), then color designs and such in each circle with colored Sharpie markers. When you are done, use a dropper (I used a medicine dropper) to drip rubbing alcohol onto each design. It makes the color spread and run. I was impatient and didn't let it dry before removing the cups, and then we set the color by drying in the dryer for 15 minutes. (Abby then did the back of hers too.) I also soaked the shirts in a vinegar/water bath before washing them to make sure that the color was completely set. Just to be sure. If you want to try it, I would suggest using the link above for directions. Their's are more detailed, I just wanted to share how easy it was. And.... show how cute they turned out. Abby wore hers as a top for her pajama day on Friday (we made them Thursday night). She was soooo excited.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails