Thursday, May 8, 2014

The girls and I have been reading some classics...

A while back, I posted that the girls and I were reading our way through a couple of the Chronicles of Narnia books (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and The Magician's Nephew).  We decided to take a little break from the series and try some new books.  Here  is what we've been reading with some recommendations...

The next book we tried was A Wrinkle in Time.  The reason we chose this one is kind of funny.  One of my girls' favorite contemporary series is "Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls" by Meg Cabot.  We get the audiobooks and listen to them in the car.  The main character is in fourth grade and I have to admit, even Matt and I don't mind listening to them (unlike some audiobooks).  In one of the books, Allie talks quite a bit about her favorite book, which is A Wrinkle in Time, so of course we had to check it out.  

I actually had never read this, even though it's a "classic."  I will say, Lily was not old enough for it.  She had a hard time paying attention to it.  I would say ideal age for reading this (aloud or otherwise) is probably 9+ due to text structure and such.  Good book but a little complex.  They enjoyed and it and remember key points but I would wait next time.


After such a heavy book, I needed something light and short.  I pulled Sarah, Plain and Tall and Skylark (the sequel) out of my old teaching stuff.  They are super short, but still chapter books.  They take place in what I call "Little House on the Prairie" times.  The girls liked them.

I'd really like to show them the Hallmark movie but don't know how to get my hands on it.  



Last night we started a new book and have read 2 chapters... so far it's a hit.  We will not be doing anything with the movie as it's not anything like the book.  We'll just be enjoying the book.


All of these are Newbury Medal or Honor books, which just happens to be a coincidence, but it's kind of nice to introduce the girls to some classics.  They read contemporary stuff on their own.

Are your kids reading anything good?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails