Thursday, May 29, 2014

Summer List and Journals

This week, I started telling the girls to begin thinking about what they wanted to put on their Summer List.  I had seen some ideas on Pinterest (of course!).  I didn't want to use whole lists from Pinterest, but they were good for getting us thinking.

Last night, I had them get some paper and pencils and we brainstormed ideas.  Then, this morning, I took the lists and made it "pretty."  I took a picture of it after I finished it and posted it, so many of you have already seen it.


But, it turns out I forgot something...

I pinned something on Pinterest earlier this year that I want to try this summer, and I had forgotten to put it on the list.  I haven't told the girls about it yet, but I think they are going to like it.  The idea is Summer Journals.  Click here to read about how one mom did it.  


I will using her blog as a guide to get started and then I think it will take off on its own. 

Today Lily and I ran to the store to buy basic notebooks and it's killing her that I won't tell her why yet.  I'm waiting to get labels on them, and I want to explain to both the girls at the same time.  This is the first summer that she is reading, so she will be able to do this also, on a much more basic level.  Though I think we will draw in them too.  

The girls still have "quiet time" most afternoons for at least an hour.  They don't usually sleep (though the can), but they have to be quiet in their rooms, and that will be a good time to do notebooks.  I'm actually pretty excited about this.

As a elementary teacher, I also know it can only be a good thing for their reading and writing.  So, I'm encouraging you to do it too.  Kids who write are better readers and kids who read are better writers.  Okay, off my soapbox.  (Sorry, literacy is a passion.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails