Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Some observations about kids and change and moving, a year later

We have been in our new house just 12 months now, and Abby is wrapping up her first year at her new school, and I have learned a few things about my children, and maybe (?) kids, in general, with how this whole change and moving things went.

I should say that we only moved 10 minutes away, but did have to move elementary schools because of the way the boundary lines are drawn.  Same school district, different elementary.  Abby was able to see some of her old friends, and still does.

The beginning of the year was hard.  She did great academically.  Socially, she had a hard time.  And, she is a happy little girl who always has lots of friends.  Friends have NEVER been a problem.  At her parent/teacher conference after 9 weeks of school (in October), her teacher told us she was just starting to see the "spark" of Abby that we had told her about.  9 weeks!  And, I would say on the friend thing, it took longer than that to not want to go back to her old school.  Now, as in May, she says that she would miss her school if she left.  That's the whole school year.

This picture is from the second week of school (August) when I was so worried about her not playing with anyone at recess that I went in to have lunch with her.  Things are so much better now.  Earlier this month she had her first sleepover with girls from her class.  That was a big step.


Also, a funny story about Lily's little mind.  This spring, we drove past our old house, and she had no idea which house it was.  I had to tell her.  She recognized the front of the neighborhood, but not the house.  When I told her I found that insane, she replied, "Well, it's been a year!"  

So, if you worry about your child missing the actual (physical) house, don't.  :)  

And, I guess school just works itself out.  Not much you can do except pray, and be involved at school.  Volunteer.  Check in with the teacher.  Ask lots of questions.  Make your child talk to you.  At least that's what I did.

We're looking forward to summer now, but not dreading next year!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails