Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Enough with the end of school year projects!

Last week, I posted on Facebook that for the first time ever, we forgot to do Abby's homework.  Twice.  In one week.

I've become THAT mom.  That end-of-year mom.  I guess it took her getting to third grade?  Last year, Jen Hatmaker (a Christian blogger/author/speaker I like) posted this (Worst End of School Year Mom Ever) and I laughed along, though I wasn't that mom.  It got shared so much and went so viral, she was on the Today show.  This year, I relate.  Then, I saw this (Parents at the End of the School Year vs the End).

So, this week is my hell.  Next week is the last week of school for Abby and this is Lily's last week of preschool.  So, preschool can't just have a last day and say "Hurrah!"  They have to have a celebration and for the first time this year, they have to decorate a box to race around in at the celebration.  Really?  So, now, we're painting and cutting up boxes and prepping for the race.  Sigh.



In addition to this, Abby's grade level is doing a big mini-ecomony project.  Every student has to come up with a good to sell, market it, create a commercial, and next week they'll have their "sales."

We came up with, what I thought at the time, was a great and original idea.  I still think that is the case.  I'm just not sure I realized the work involved on my part.  She's making bird seed molds (that hold together with unflavored gelatin).  They are cool, but to make a lot is time consuming.  We're using a silicon mold, but we still only can make 6 at a time and the sale is for her whole grade level, which is 4 classes.  I'm still not sure how many we should make.  That whole supply and demand thing.  There is bird seed everywhere!  Plus, I'm doing more of it than I'd like.

(on my dining room table)

(in my freezer)

 (more in my freezer)

Isn't the end of the year, supposed to be the easy time?  Winter would have been a nice time to do this, when we were snowed in, with nothing else to do.  I just scheduled swim lessons yesterday and our summer is shaping up to stay busy.  I guess that's a good thing too.  

I'd really just rather just nap.  (here's a picture the girls snapped of me with my Milo).



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails