Monday, July 21, 2008

Pilates



I have been taking weekly Pilates classes at a new studio near my home for a few months. I first tried Pilates in 2004, I think, at our YMCA. I had been taking Yoga classes and was curious about Pilates. The first thing I learned is that it is a lot harder than it looks. In some ways, it is very technical, because you have to be aware of exactly what you are doing with different parts of your body: Shoulders down, abs tight, don't move your hips. -and you have to be aware of all of that at the same time. It toned my body better than anything else I had tried, and I was decent at it.

So, after years of taking some time off, a new studio opened, I found out about it and started classes. I had class tonight. It is a 60 minute class and I have already had to start modifying because I can't lay on my stomach to do the back exercises. That said, I have decided that I am going to really miss it when I am too pregnant to do it. I always leave in a good mood, even if I wake up sore the next day. It has been a weekly time that is just mine, and I don't have to think about anything else.

By the way, the picture at the top is the movement, Open Leg Rocker. While holding that position, you roll back to your shoulders, and then back to that starting position (balancing on your sit bones). I can do it, but my flexibility isn't as good as the picture, so I my hands are usually around my knees. Some of the rolling movements are kind of fun (there are several different ones).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails