Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Dilly Bars


To celebrate Matt's last class tonight, we had Dilly Bars. I love the mint ones, but our Dairy Queen doesn't make their own. It is important to know that my first job was at a classic Dairy Queen. I worked there for over a year when I was in high school. I remember coming home with splatters of ice cream, fudge, and strawberries all over me. The ice cream on my clothes had a weird smell that you wouldn't be able to identify unless you had worked in it, it didn't smell like you would think. I remember working in the winter, making Blizzards, and my hands would be absolutely frozen.

So, back to Dilly Bars. My DQ made everything themselves: Dilly Bars and Buster Bars. You had to be one of the chosen few to earn the chance to make dilly bars, I didn't work there long enough to make it that far. I did, however, make Buster Bars. We made them in little cups (peanuts, fudge, ice cream), froze them, and then dipped them in chocolate cone dip. Our DQ had this crazy Dilly Dipper machine (for Busters too). It had the rim to a bicycle wheel, turned sideways over a moat of cone dip with clothes pins attached to it. You would dip either the Dilly or Buster, and hang in on a pin to dry over the moat. Crazy, huh? But, the Dillys from our current DQ are mass produced, they don't even have the curl, which by the way, is the best part because there is more chocolate on the curl. I tried researching the history of the Dilly Bar, with no luck. DQ History Link  There isn't much available on it. I wonder how many DQs make their own these days. I wonder if the DQ I worked at still makes theirs? Hmmm.

Oh, the one talent I could do while I worked at Dairy Queen (other than make Buster Bars)??? I could make two cones at a time, in one hand, with curls!

1 comment:

Everything Lissy said...

oh the talents you possess that I never knew about...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails