Sunday, July 13, 2008

My New Hobby: Geocaching

I wanted to share a little about a new hobby of mine: Geocaching. What is geocaching, you ask? Interesting question. The way that Matt and I explained it to Abby is treasure hunting. The basic idea of it is that people hide "caches" all over the place, put the coordinates on the Geocaching website, and then they can be found by anyone with a GPS. I had read about it and asked for a GPS for Christmas, which I got, and Matt and I have finally tried it and found some! The first one we found was in an old cemetary. The GPS gets you within a few feet and then you are on your own for finding it. We found the first one in a hole in an old tree. It was covered by some pieces of wood. It was a microcache, when means it was so small, the only thing in it was a log to sign that you found it. Here is a picture of it, so you can really see what I'm talking about.



Here is the second one we found. It was found at a large doctor's office. I noticed that there was some landscaping area that looked pretty trampled close to where the GPS got us. Matt walked back through it (some prickly weeds too) and found it hanging in a tree/shrub. Kinda cool. This one also had a log and some stash (when you can take one if you leave one-we didn't).



Before we started our caching day, I was so nervous that we wouldn't find them. However, now that we have, it is a little addictive. Abby was a little disappointed that they weren't big treasures (like she sees in cartoons), but Matt and I are anxious to find an afternoon to do it again.

If you are interested in learning more about Geocaching, check out this FAQ site: http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

1 comment:

Lodie (my nickname) said...

Congratulations on joining the blog family. It's pretty fun, as you know. You look great in your picture. I love the geocache post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails