Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Baby Steps

This child...

...is going to kill me.

Seriously. She is forcing me to be a patient person.

As you know, we've been very worried about her gross motor development. And we aren't crazy on this. She really is, and has been, behind on major milestones. She didn't crawl for the first time until 12 months, didn't pull up for even longer than that, and so on. She still hasn't really said a first word, even though she does babble.

At her 15 month well baby appointment, we spent some time talking about it. Our doctor didn't over react, but finally said that we have some reason to be concerned. Not overly concerned, but concerned. He gave me the option of calling First Steps, which is an early intervention service that sends therapists to your home to assess and then, if necessary, work with your child. Matt and I decided to wait and see where we were at 18 months, which is also what our pediatrician agreed with. That gives me 1 more month to make some more progress.

And progress we are making.

She is definitely going through a big growth period. She is babbling even more, pointing at stuff like crazy and getting really good at cruising around furniture. Just this week, she seems more confident. A couple weeks ago, she took some of her first steps walking between Matt and I. We would get her steady and then she would step and then nose dive into the carpet, but it was still a big deal.

And then last night happened.

She was sitting in Abby's blue chair in the living room (we were sitting on the couches talking) and she decided to just stand up all by herself, not holding on to anything. She grinned at us and then sat back down. I encouraged her and she did it again and walked straight forward to the coffee table. No one helping her. No one getting her started. All her decision. Talk about cheering in our house... I wouldn't be surprised if our neighbors heard. She then was on a roll and did some more practicing. I would say that she took somewhere between 7-10 steps at a time all by herself. This time, however, her balance is all within her control. We aren't helping at all. It is very cool.



This morning she was sitting on a riding car toy with both legs on the same side and she stood up and walked again, looking straight at me to see what I would do. She smiled. I cheered her on and the second she plopped down, she raced over to me (crawling) for hugs and kisses. It was the best.

The fun is just beginning, I'm sure and I'm ready. I'm excited to see where we'll be by the weekend. Now that she's gaining confidence and making the choices all on her own, I'm sure it will be fast moving. Or not, as she's teaching me. Not an easy lesson.

1 comment:

Stine Family said...

Carrie, Our second son Gav was much slower doing things than Owen was. (This was true with their cousins as well.) I know it is hard with milestones and with older siblings to assess where the younger falls and to quiet that nagging voice that says "what is going on?" I think we have to remind ourselves as parents that they will do things in their own time and teach us in the process. Thinking of you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails