Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A devotion

From the Upper Room's daily e-mail devotional.
I liked today's, so I thought I'd share. The part that stuck with me was the last paragraph.

RECENTLY I had a fright while riding my bicycle. I was racing along on a downhill slope when an adult deer darted out from the woods, heading for a collision with me. I swerved and tried to stop, but an accident seemed imminent. To my relief, the deer turned, ran alongside me, and then gracefully dashed back into the woods. Her movements seemed effortless; the whole incident took only seconds. One moment I feared I'd be jolted off my bicycle and badly hurt. The next, I was peering into the woods looking for the gentle creature. I thanked God that I was safe and watched out for deer on the rest of my ride.

Later, as I reflected on the damage a collision might have caused, I thought about God's call for us to be peacemakers. In Romans 12:18 Paul wrote, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." This call gives me hope to grow in my ability to respond gently to others and turn away from causing them harm. In this way, I'm doing my part to live peacefully with others.

With our words or actions, we can either cause collisions or gracefully avoid hurting others. The encounter with that doe encourages me to think of God's power making "my feet like the feet of a deer," enabling me to avoid hurting those around me.



The Sovereign Lord is my strength;

he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.


-Habakkuk 3:19 (NIV)




Thought for the day



The way we treat others matters to God.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails