Saturday, September 26, 2009

An experiment in Chalkboard Paint

So, here goes, a do-it-yourself job that I want to try. I read about it on a blog. It looked cool and, bonus, used chalkboard paint. I have been wanting to try something with chalkboard paint for a while, but didn't know what. I did this whole project for about $21.00, which isn't bad.

First, I bought a mirror with a nice, gawdy frame at Old Time Pottery for $12.99. Most of the frames were $19.99, but I found a good one in a size I liked for cheaper (Score!). Then, I gathered the rest of the supplies at the local teacher store. I was going to hit Home Depot, but United Arts and Education was closer to Five Guys Burgers (where we were going to have dinner while we were out), AND they carried chalkboard paint. We really didn't know they would, we were just going to grab chalk there but lucked out. ...and of course, we needed painter's tape, which we already had at home.


Next step, was to tape off the mirror to get it ready for painting. We ended up using paper towels to cover the rest of the frame, but you could use old rags, or whatever.




Then, we spray painted in the garage according to the directions on the can. Abby was in charge of setting out the newspaper on the floor. We let is set overnight in the garage, and then...


...peeled off the tape. (Looks cool so far!)



Then, we had to wait again (easily, the hardest part of the project). It had to sit for 24 hours before you could write on it. We then rolled the side of a piece of chalk all over it to prime it. It changed the finish a little- not as black, but I'm hoping this is normal.


And, voila! Here it is hanging in the kitchen. I'm sure I'll change what I have on it all the time, but that is what is cool about it. It could have a holiday phrase, a cool quote, a picture by Abby (or Lily eventually), a meaningful scripture, the list goes on and on. Very cool.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails